Moving houses and starting off from scratch is not an easy thing to do. Most families, although, have this belief that with a new house and a new environment, their lives would change. Now you may be thinking about how that is possible, or it is even true. Good news for you it is. In India, people believe in Vastu, which ensures a happy and fulfilling life if the principles of Vastu are observed and ensured.
What Do We Know About Vastu?
Vastu is the ancient science of house building and architecture. Even now, in India, people make sure before building a new house that it is built upon according to the principles of Vastu.
Vastu is mostly known as Vastu Shastra, and this term was made up of a powerful and well-known spirit which is known as “Vastu Purusha.” In India, he is considered a God of construction and house making. Vastu Shastra, although it is an ancient art, it is also a well-recognized science that was made many centuries ago by Hindu saints.
The Hindu saints put together several rules and regulations which helped people determine how the building would be built. Due to the belief in happiness and the well-known house making, the art of Vastu Shastra has survived different centuries and is actively practiced to date.
What does Vastu Mean?
Vastu translates as “home” in India. This art of house making and Indian architecture finds its way back to many subjects such as Indian philosophy, geography, maths, and geology too. Vastu Shastra creates a set of rules which ensure the way the house is built corresponds to nature and the environment around it.
People believe that if houses and buildings are built with keeping nature and the environment in mind, then the house and the people dwelling in it will live happily. Vastu Shastra keeps in mind the major elements of this world, the sun, the wind, water, and space. If all these elements are observed and fulfilled according to the philosophy of Vastu Shastra, only then can the people living in the house be fully happy and be vulnerable to the universe’s positive aura.
Principles of Vastu Shastra
The basic principles of Vastu Shastra are:
- When buying a plot, make sure that it is in the direction of south, west, or south-west direction since plots in this direction are considered better.
- Plots that have a square or rectangular shape are better than irregularly shaped ones.
- A plot that has mango, banana, or Jamun tree is considered a bad omen, and the house isn’t considered well.
- The entrance of the house should be in the northeast, east, or north direction.
- If you buy a big plot with extra room, make the extra room in the northwest or northeast direction into a guest room.
- The center of the house, which has to become a Brahmasthan, should be free of any pillars, stairs, walls, and toilet.
- To avoid any bad energy, keep paintings of war, crime, and gruesome details hidden and away from the free sight.
- Red and black colors attract negative energy, so they should be avoided.
Rules of Vastu Shastra
The major rules of Vastu Shastra are mostly for the direction of the building, how it is built, and each element of nature has its own rules and direction. In order to live happily, you have to take care of all the directions specified according to the Vastu so that the right energy can find you and make your life better and fulfilling.
As discussed above, Vastu Shastra takes into account the 5 elements of nature. In general, the earth is made of these five elements, and it only makes sense to build your house according to this too. The five elements:
- Water: Water is also known as Jala. Water is found in rain, rivers, and seas. Not only that, water is essential for human beings. If a person doesn’t have access to clean water in his house, then he would be troubled.
- Space: Space is also known as Aakash. Space is vast and consists of our earth, other planets, the sun, and the moon, and our entire galaxy. Not only that, space and stars mostly emit forces and energy which find their way into the heart and influence people greatly. Astrology is also linked to that.
- Fire: Fire which is known as Agni, is also essential to Vastu Shastra. The fire represents heat and also light, but along with that, it also represents seasons, lightning, and energy during the different times of the day. In Indian philosophy, people believe that the strength and passion of humans are strongly related to light and heat. So a place that takes into account the aspect of fire will keep people happy and passionate. The fire would fuel the strength and passion of the people living in the house.
- Air: Air is also known as Vaaya. The earth’s atmosphere contains primary gasses such as oxygen and CO2. Just like how the earth’s main component is air, a person’s well-being and comfort also depend on the air, its pressure, temperature, and humidity. A person won’t be happy and have the feeling of fulfillment if his house has too much humidity, or the air pressure is too. By keeping in mind the principle of Vastu Shastra, the house which is built somewhere that has a good flow of air, isn’t too hot and the air pressure is just right, will flourish, and the people living in that house will be happy.
- Earth: The earth is known as Bhumi in India. Earth has its gravitational field and its magnetic field. These both have a heavy influence on people and their lives. If this aspect is fulfilled correctly, then your house and the people dwelling in it will prosper.
The Significance of Vastu Shastra
What is the reason behind this belief of Vastu Shastra? And how have people still stick to it? People have observed the rules of Vastu Shastra, and if not all, then some rules have been applied. The belief around Vastu Shastra gives a person the satisfaction of having a well-built house that ensures happiness and well-being. There are many benefits of building a house according to the principles of Vastu Shastra. Some of them are:
- Living a Fulfilled Life: Vastu Shastra provides people with the comfort of knowing that their life ahead will be happy and fulfilled. There may come times of loss and hardship, but this belief strengthens the person’s mind, and only a strong person can face challenges head-on. Due to the rules, people experience harmony and a feeling of fulfillment.
- Building a Better You: Vastu Shastra maybe just the art of architecture, but to people in India who truly believe in it, it is not just about building better homes. It is about building a better you. While keeping in mind the basis of house making, people can also reflect on themselves and observe themselves to be happy and healthy.
- Proper Future Planning: Vastu Shastra makes use of space in a good way. It ensures where and how everything should be kept so the house doesn’t seem clustered and it is open and free.
- Being at Peace: Vastu Shastra believes that our homes are part of the universe, and therefore we have to keep in mind the universe and make peace with it. Not only that, but this belief also tells you which color, painting, and trees should be planted so no bad omen enters the house and people live freely and happily inside.
- Staying Connected: If it is one thing that Vastu Shastra has taught us, it is that in this universe, everything dwells on another. Everyone is connected with each other, and in order to live in peace, you have to be in harmony with those around you. If even one element is disturbed, it will ruin the whole house.
- Welcoming Good Things in Your Life: Vastu Shastra ensures others by keeping your house clean and neat. Having a house that fulfills those requirements not only keeps us calm and happy but is also good for our mental health. It ensures that people surround themselves with colors that are cool to the eye. Little things like your curtains, wall color, and space, in general, will promote a happy life since light colors are proven to make others feel happy. Not only that, but Vastu Shastra also ensures that you stay away from things that give off a bad omen, just as it says to keep away red and black color since it can make you feel angry or fearful.
Vastu Shastra is not just an old art of architecture. It makes up a person’s mind and keeps it happy and healthy. It also ensures that people take full advantage of the space they have, all while keeping their place full of air and free. As it is said, a clean place promotes a clean mind. So keep away from negative thoughts and bad omen by practicing the art of Vastu Shastra.